When a person sees that their eye had become red, it can be very alarming. However, in the majority of cases this is minor and caused by conjunctivitis or a burst blood vessel. When there is pain that accompanies the red color it can be more serious. In cases, in which the red eye does not improve after a few days, it is time to make an appointment with your doctor. Other reasons to contact your doctor:
- If you have pain along with the redness to your eye
- Vision is reduced
- You have developed a sensitivity to light
- Have a severe headache along with the red eye
- You have suffered an eye injury recently
The following conditions could be those that cause red eye. However, this is in no way meant to replace seeing your doctor and getting an educated opinion.
This is an inflammation of the conjunctiva. This is the thin layer of the tissue that is covering the eyeball, and also covers the surfaces of the inner eyelid. When this is the case, the eyes often feel gritty, the blood vessels in the eyes are swollen. Other people complain of the eye becoming itchy, watering, and feeling a sticky coasting within the eyelashes.
Conjunctivitis can be caused by an eye infection, as well as allergies. Sometimes an irritant has affected the eye causing this, such as dust or chlorine. In order to treat this it really depends on what has caused this to happen. And in many cases, treatment is not necessary as the eye will heal itself.
In order to help get the eye back to health, your doctor may recommend that you:
- Avoid wearing contacts until the eye is healed
- Remove any discharge that you may feel from the eye
- Utilize antibiotic eye drops, or antihistamines to help deal with itchiness, water or other issues.
- Wash your hands regularly to avoid passing on the infection, if this is present
- Do not share pillows and other items with others if you have an eye infection
Burst Blood Vessels
There are times in which a blood vessel may burst in the eye. In most cases, this is caused by an injury to the eyes, of even if you were to cough or strain yourself. When this happens it is often referred to as a subconjunctival haemorrhage. It may look ugly, especially if you are taking medications that thin the blog, but it is usually not considered a serious condition and should clear up on its own within a few days or weeks, depending upon the severity.
Why your Eye May Hurt
When you red eye is painful, you have reduced vision, there could be other issues present. When this is the issue, then be sure that you are talking to your doctor as soon as possible to find a solution and determine why this is happening.